With a new year comes fresh starts, goals, and opportunities. Numerous people use the new year as a time to reset through resolutions such as exercising, eating healthier, and decreasing screen time. However, many individuals don’t realize that a clutter-free home can improve nearly every aspect of their lives.
Are you wondering how to declutter your home in 2023? NewSpaceⓇ Home Organization has you covered. View our five tips on decluttering your St. Louis home and start implementing your new year’s resolutions today!
The Problem With Clutter
Although accumulating extra items may not seem like a big deal, clutter can take a toll on your mental health over time. Paper-covered surfaces, piles of clothing, and disorganized kitchen appliances can increase stress levels, make it difficult to focus, strain relationships, and lower your quality of life.
Home should be your reprieve from everyday life rather than the source of more stress and overwhelm. It’s frustrating trying to locate items that aren’t assigned a home. Tackling an increased amount of clutter can feel like a daunting task, but with our tips and organization professionals’ help, your home will be clutter- and stress-free!
5 Tips on Decluttering Your Home
1. Visualize a Space’s Potential
Organizing increased clutter can be overwhelming, especially if you don’t know where to start. Focus on one area at a time, visualizing what the room or space will look like when complete.
Consider adding a fresh coat of paint to your entryway or a new rug in your home office. Visualizing a space’s potential can motivate you to get the job done and help you maintain organization once complete.
2. Make Organizing a Habit
Setting aside a few minutes every day to declutter can make a difference. Pick a specific cluttered area in your home and choose five items to place elsewhere. Gradually increase the number of items each day until the space is clear, then repeat the process with a new area.
Focusing your attention on one space at a time allows you to transform the most cluttered areas in a matter of days. Once you organize each space with accessories like storage bins and movable plastic shelving, you’ll have a much easier time maintaining them. Creating a habit of organizing every room will help keep your home clutter-free.
3. Eliminate the Risk of Clutter
A busy schedule increases the risk of clutter in your home. Whether you’re leaving your coat and shoes in the mudroom after a long day at work or dropping unopened mail on the kitchen counter before taking your children to practice, you may not think twice about the accumulating clutter. After a while, you might believe you don’t have enough time to reorganize.
However, there are ways to eliminate the risk of clutter. Flat surfaces, such as countertops, tables, and benches are prime targets for drop-and-go items. A great way to eliminate clutter in these spaces is by placing centerpieces, table runners, and decorative pillows. You’ll be less likely to drop items that don’t belong when these areas already have décor.
4. Use Accessories to Declutter Your Home
Each space in your home has its issues and therefore requires specific accessories tailored to your needs. Taking a few minutes each day to tidy up the following areas with easy-to-use accessories can make an impact on clutter:
- Closet: Disorganized jewelry can make finding your favorite pieces challenging. Placing a jewelry organizer within any size drawer allows you to group similar pieces or separate them as you wish.
- Laundry room: Not having the space for hanging clean laundry results in wrinkled items. However, a hanging station can be the perfect solution. Hang your delicates to air dry and transfer them to your closet or store your detergent, stain remover, and dryer sheets in bins above.
- Pantry: Canned goods can take up a large portion of your pantry space. To make matters worse, stacked cans can create a safety hazard. Basket rim shelves keep your canned goods in an easy-to-reach place and prevent them from falling. They operate on a gliding system, making pulling out and pushing back simple.
- Home office: The home office is a target for paper clutter. Some bills and statements are essential to keep but need an easy-to-access home. Consider using home office baskets to place within existing desks or shelving units. Assign each type of bill, insurance policy, or correspondence to a specific basket, and have no issue locating them again!
5. Implement Custom Organization Solutions
Custom solutions from NewSpaceⓇ fit your specifications, allowing you to get organized and stay organized. Our team of designers can create a system that works for you. Reducing clutter and stress has never been easier!
Whatever the area or type of clutter, you can trust NewSpaceⓇ’s professionals to help you. Below are some custom solutions we offer:
- Closet: Whether reach-in or walk-in, we have your closet organization covered. We’ll assess your space, design a solution, and build and install custom drawers, cubbies, baskets, bins, shelving, and more.
- Pantry: Movable plastic shelving creates custom organization solutions both now and in the future as your food storage needs change.
- Garage: Utilizing cabinetry, overhead storage, slat walls, and flooring in the garage allows you to locate items and easily park the car.
- Mudroom, craft room, & bar: Whatever your needs, we can design and install custom storage for you. Choose from cubbies and lockers for your mudroom, built-in shelving and desks for your craft room, or a custom home bar area for ultimate entertainment.
- Family room: The family room is where you spend the most time. Therefore, you must have the proper organization in place to relax. We can work with you to design and install the perfect entertainment center for your home that keeps the games and DVDs out of sight.
- Laundry room: Custom cabinetry, hanging stations, sinks, and folding areas can transform a cluttered laundry room into a functional space that suits your needs.
- Home office: We can design and install functional displays and bookshelves for your home office needs. You’ll be able to work or pay the bills peacefully, knowing that every book, award, and document has a home.
- Nursery: Your little bundle of joy needs an organized space, too! We create custom nursery closets, dressers, shelving, and more.
Wondering How to Declutter Your Home? Get a Free In-Home Consultation from NewSpaceⓇ
Decluttering your St. Louis home doesn’t have to be overwhelming. Implementing simple tips and contacting NewSpaceⓇ will make your home clutter-free and functional. Our designers will come to you through a free in-home consultation to identify your needs and goals. Then, we’ll create a solution unique to you!
We’ll build and install your custom solutions upon approval, and our professional organizers can help you assign each item a home. If you’re wondering how to declutter your home this new year, look no further than NewSpaceⓇ! Contact us today to schedule your free in-home consultation.